How should I finish my steel doors and/or sidelites?
Select the proper paint. A quality solvent-based semi-gloss enamel paint is recommended. Advise your paint supplier that you will be painting a primed galvanized steel entry door-ask for his recommendations.
- Fill installation nail holes with caulk or wood filler.
- Repair any dents or scratches.
- Lightly sand the area, use fiberglass paste and smooth over the effected area following instructions on the tube or can.
- Sand the filled and repaired surfaces until smooth.
- Caulk between brickmould and exterior siding (if necessary).
- Also run a small bead of caulk between the brickmould and frame jamb.
- Allow caulk to dry completely.
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces before painting.
- Apply paint following the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Do not paint weather-stripping or panel bottom sweep, they must remain soft and flexible.
- Note: For a smooth look on lighted door and sidelite panels, fill margin between lite surround and panel skin with caulk.