How can I repair/replace patio door mortise locks?
Step #1: Remove existing lock set:
- Remove active door panel from frame.
- Remove all brass cover plates from edge of door panel.
- Deadbolt door panel (fully extended position). Mortise lock cannot be removed if in unlocked position.
- Remove handle set.
- Insert 3/32 allen head wrench into top most hole (first hole in from screw that secures mortise box to door panel) in the face of the mortise lock.
- Release set screw with two complete counterclockwise turns of allen wrench.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 for bottom hole in face of mortise lock (insert allen wrench into bottom most hole on mortise box - next to screw securing mortise box to panel).
- Reach into hole in top of door panel (use surgical type forceps if possible) and grasp operating rod. Gently remove rod by pulling through hole - push down on bolt to bypass pin and wheels on drive rod.
- Repeat step 3 for bottom. (Note: push down on bottom bolt to remove drive rod.)
- Remove (2) screws holding mortise lockset in edge of door. Remove lockset.
Step #2: Install New Mortise Lockset
- Insure proper hand of new lockset and install. Note: If top and bottom auxiliary bolts are removed, re-install at this time making sure the arrow markings on the side of the bolt are oriented to the top of the panel.
- Re-install brass handle set and activate deadbolt on mortise lock box.
- Locate and loosen allen head set screws (top and bottom) with 3/32 allen wrench.
- Install one alignment key into hole directly above protruding bolt in mortise lock.
- Replace top rod (marked "T" on end with hole), insuring all notches face edge of door panel (insert slowly to avoid damaging plastic liner in auxiliary Module).
- Pull deadbolt out with fingers and push rod in as far as it will go.
- Insert second alignment key into slot closest to the top of the door on upper auxiliary module.
- Slowly pull rod out (approx. 1/16") until key drops into slot.
- Tighten set screws and remove alignment key.
- Insert bottom drive rod (marked "B") - depressing bottom bolt with finger, insert bottom operating rod through the bolt until the first roller passes through (you should feel one "bump").
- Follow steps 6-9 from here.
- Remove all alignment keys at this time.
- Check operation of lock (deadbolt, panic release and thumbturn release).
- Replace face plates and re-install door panel into frame.
- Lubrication of components with silicone spray is recommended prior to installation.