How can I replace the glass on Peachtree patio door panels?
Peachtree strongly recommends the use of safety glasses and protective gloves when working with glass.
Step #1: Remove damaged glass:
- The interior glass surround must be removed. This can be accomplished by gently prying between the glass and the molding with a wide putty knife.
- Start in the middle of the vertical members and work to the corners. Repeat process for the horizontal members.
- Corners are welded so use caution not to pry too hard or they will break at corners. If removed without damage, the surround can be reused.
- From the outside of the door panel, use a utility knife and cut between the glass and the outside molding to break the seal. The glazing compound is a black butyl material and may be hard to cut. Use caution not to cut glass stop.
- Beginning in the top corner, begin pushing the glass to your homes interior, away from the glazing compound. Some additional cutting may be required as you push the glass inward, this will make removal easier.
- Thoroughly clean and remove all residual butyl glazing compound remaining on the exterior.
Step #2: Install new glass:
- Select glazing compound - example...silicone caulk.
- Apply a 1/4" bead into glazing channel approximately 1/8" back from edge. This will prevent the silicone from seeping out.
- Place rubber shims on bottom surface of glass surround for glass to rest on.
- Carefully position glass into frame and press evenly against silicone.
- Position shims around glass, vertically and horizontally, to support the insulated unit.
- Position interior glazing surround onto panel and gently snap it back into place. (Original surround may be reused if not damaged during removal).